Topic Developer will not install

We have two new locations for Keyman technical support:

The Tavultesoft Forums are now read only.

# Developer will not install   2010-02-19 20:06:56.737
Yuan-ze University
I recently purchased and installed Keyman Developer 7.1 (for XP); after using it for a day & failing to solve a certain problem, for some reason I started mucking around with file associations for some of my project-related keyboard and source code files. It didn't help, so I decided to reinstall Developer, but there was no Uninstall feature, so I just removed the whole folder from the Tavultesoft folder under Programs in volume C, plus all project-related files I could find. Then I re-downloaded Developer, but now when I try to start it up (keymandeveloper-7.1.268.0), it gives me the big "Install Keyman Developer" button, but when I press it, it briefly shows a green progress-strip below quickly moving rightward about 3/4 the way through, then it just stops. I have rebooted several times, but nothing helps.
p.s. this keymandeveloper-7.1.268.0 file (20,870 KB) has a little orange key with a K on it as it's icon, is that right or make any difference?
# RE: Developer will not install   2010-02-19 20:19:15.897
Yuan-ze University
OK, I know I'm replying to my own posting, but I have a complaint, so I hope somebody (with influence) notices. I went back into the Tavultesoft folder in the C:\Program Files folder, and found a "cached installers" or something (it's gone now) folder, wherein I indeed did find an Uninstaller, and finally solved my problem. MANY SOFTWARE PRODUCTS INCLUDE THE LINK TO THE UNINSTALLER IN WINDOW'S "START" MENU. It was just by luck that I found it buried in some folder in the Program Files folder.
# RE: Developer will not install   2010-02-22 06:36:21.283
Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft Staff
The uninstaller for Keyman Developer can be found in the standard Windows Control Panel "Add/Remove Programs" applet -- the normal place to uninstall or repair any software installation. Microsoft guidelines state that software should not include an uninstall link in the Start Menu (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511447.aspx).

You should never delete files out of the Program Files folder directly, for any software -- this can corrupt your software installation (as you found). The "Cached Installers" folder contains a cache of the original installation MSI file for Keyman Developer so that uninstallation, upgrades, repairs and changes to the installation can be made without needing the original installation files. This is not intended for the end user to access directly -- you should be using the Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs applet to maintain your software installations.