Topic Windows 10 - Keyman CPU issues

We have two new locations for Keyman technical support:

The Tavultesoft Forums are now read only.

# Windows 10 - Keyman CPU issues   2015-10-06 00:19:28.697
Stephen K
I am using the latest version of Keyman 9, and have upgraded from windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. Now, whenever I close Keyman (right click, close via the icon in the taskbar), a Keyman process remains running in the background. If I go to the task manager, I can see that Tavultesoft Keyman Engine x86 (32bit) is still running, and consistently uses 30+% of my cpu (under normal operation, it doesn't even use 1%).

The process does not close, unless I force close it via task manager.

I uninstalled and reinstalled, but that did not help.

Any help you could provide would be much appreciated.
# RE: Windows 10 - Keyman CPU issues   2015-10-06 20:59:28.547
Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft Staff
Stephen,

That is certainly not good. Can you do a couple of things for us:

• Send us a diagnostic report following the instructions at http://help.keyman.com/kb/40
  • Capture a crash dump file for keyman.exe (that's Tavultesoft Keyman Engine x86). See below. The file may be fairly large, so if you put it on a file share such as OneDrive or DropBox, and email a link to the file to us at [email protected], that'd be great.

You can create a dump file in a few different ways:
# RE: Windows 10 - Keyman CPU issues   2015-10-06 22:23:22.663
Stephen K
Marc,

I have submitted the diagnostic report and emailed the dropbox link for my dump file.

Thanks!
# RE: Windows 10 - Keyman CPU issues   2016-02-26 02:37:14.747

[quote="Stephen K"]I am using the latest version of Keyman 9, and have upgraded from windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. Now, whenever I close Keyman (right click, close via the icon in the taskbar), a Keyman process remains running in the background. If I go to the task manager, I can see that Tavultesoft Keyman Engine x86 (32bit) is still running, and consistently uses 30+% of my cpu (under normal operation, it doesn't even use 1%).

Any help you could provide would be much appreciated. [/quote]
# RE: Windows 10 - Keyman CPU issues   2016-02-26 02:53:43.113

[quote=""][quote="Stephen K"]I am using the latest version of Keyman 9, and have upgraded from windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. Now, whenever I close Keyman (right click, close via the icon in the taskbar), a Keyman process remains running in the background. If I go to the task manager, I can see that Tavultesoft Keyman Engine x86 (32bit) is still running, and consistently uses 30+% of my cpu (under normal operation, it doesn't even use 1%).

[/quote]
# RE: Windows 10 - Keyman CPU issues   2016-02-26 07:49:10.210
Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft Staff
For future reference, this issue was because a compatibility flag had been incorrectly set on Stephen's computer for keyman.exe, possibly because of a third party software interaction. To resolve this, the following registry setting had to be deleted:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]
"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Common Files\\Tavultesoft\\Keyman Engine 9.0\\keyman.exe"="$~ IgnoreFreeLibrary<keyman32.dll>"

(Please note, we cannot provide support for registry editing, and you make registry changes at your own risk.)
# RE: Windows 10 - Keyman CPU issues   2016-02-28 18:28:39.590
randeni
[quote="Stephen K"]I am using the latest version of Keyman 9, and have upgraded from windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. Now, whenever I close Keyman (right click, close via the icon in the taskbar), a Keyman process remains running in the background. If I go to the task manager, I can see that Tavultesoft Keyman Engine x86 (32bit) is still running, and consistently uses 30+% of my cpu (under normal operation, it doesn't even use 1%).