Topic Toshiba Volume generates characters

We have two new locations for Keyman technical support:

The Tavultesoft Forums are now read only.

# Toshiba Volume generates characters   2009-06-12 01:06:09.073
Dan Friesen
I have a Toshiba P200 with Keyman Pro 7.0.240

I am plannig to upgrade to the latest patch when I next get to a high speed internet connection.

Meanwhile, I didn't see any patch comments about the following bug I've observed:

When I have Keyman on, and am in a word processor screen (like MS Word 2003 or SIL Field Works Translation Editor 5.4), and then adjust the volume dial (an endless rheostat dial) I get repeating "bbbb" (volume up) or repeating "cccc" (volume down) appearing on my screen (in fact the very letters in quotes above were also generated in this way!). When Keyman is off, this doesn't occur. I have not observed this in other Toshiba computers we use that have a dial with fixed end points. I suspect that this new style volume control has a software component that Keyman is getting transient signals from.

While I acknowledge that there may be a problem on the Toshiba hardware/software/driver end, since this problem only shows up in Keyman, I'm hoping that whatever signal Keyman is catching can be excluded from its keyboard mapping (since the use of the volume control generates no text when keyman is off).
# RE: Toshiba Volume generates characters   2009-06-12 08:35:16.107
Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft Staff
Thank you for the report. We have had one other report of this issue but were unable to get in touch with the bug reporter to follow it up and get the necessary debug log files. Would you be able to send us a debug log from Keyman so we can see what the signals that are being incorrectly translated are? To do this:

1. Open Keyman Configuration, select Options, Advanced, Debugging.
  2. Click OK to save changes.
  3. Exit and restart Keyman.
  4. Reproduce the issue as you described it.
  5. Exit Keyman.
  6. On your desktop, there will be a folder called keymanlog.
  7. In this folder is a file called system.log. Please email this file to [email protected] together with a note about this forum topic. (If the file is large, you may wish to compress it before sending).
  8. Finally, turn off the Debugging option in Keyman Configuration as the debug log file gets large very quickly.
# RE: Toshiba Volume generates characters   2013-05-07 07:14:15.670
Peter Wulfing
Was this bug ever worked out? I'm a tech working on a system which has this exact problem. When you move the volume dial, it sends spurious characters (b's and c's) to the text.

Toshiba A205-S7464
Vista 32 SP2
Keyman Desktop Pro 7.1.273.0

# RE: Toshiba Volume generates characters   2013-05-07 08:23:29.507
Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft Staff
We addressed this problem in version 8.0 of Keyman Desktop. If you contact our sales team on [email protected], we can organise a free upgrade to get past this bug. Reference this forum topic in your email.