Topic Keyman Language storage

We have two new locations for Keyman technical support:

The Tavultesoft Forums are now read only.

# Keyman Language storage   2010-05-25 22:41:20.790
Winkler Johann
When installing a keyboard in Keyman Light 7.1, I erroneously installed some languages I do not need, e. g. English (US) and Greek. I can't get rid of these rather annoying unwanted languages, at least not permanently; somehow they seem to come into life again.
I would like to know where keyman stores these languages, just to get rid of them. Uninstall and Reinstall is of no use, since Keyman seems to let these data untouched when uninstalling.
# RE: Keyman Language storage   2010-05-31 13:49:07.107
Tavultesoft
Johann - We would be happy to help you resolve this issue. I have sent you an email directly in response to your separate support request (Case 26013). The solution to your problem depends on whether you wish to uninstall a Windows language or a Keyman keyboard.
# RE: Keyman Language storage   2010-06-02 20:27:41.647
Winkler Johann
I have already described the problem, following the directives in your email. Nevertheless: Here is it again:

When installing a Greek keyboard (GrkPolyComp.kmx) I erroneously installed English (US) and Griechisch (Greek) as Languages, i. e. they show upon the keyman language tab, but do not show on the corresponding windows language tab that can be accessed via the control panel. Later I found out that the keyman keyboard works well with the installed windows German keyboard driver and that the additional languages are not only superfluous but annoying, since somehow the English keyboard seems to get the better of the German one now and then and causes my z-s appear as y-s and vice versa. So I decided to get rid of them, and that is the problem: I can't.

There is a way to remove the languages, but not permanently: When I close keyman, install the two Languages (English and Greek) in Windows (remember: they don't show up there) and uninstall them immediately after, then restart keyman again, they seem to have vanished. But after a certain period of time - I cannot tell exactly what is the cause - they are haunting the language tab again, and the problem exists as described.

Now somehow keyman has to have stored the information about these two languages somewhere - or where should it get it from? If I knew the place of this storage (the registry doesn't seem to hold that information, at least not as plain text), I could remove this information from there and so my troubles would find an end (as far as keyman is concerned).

So I simply would like to know that!
# RE: Keyman Language storage   2010-06-03 10:18:57.110
Tavultesoft
Tavultesoft Staff
Johann, thanks for the additional information. We will investigate further here because it is strange that they don't appear in the list of installed Windows languages in Control Panel. I'll be looking into this tomorrow (not in the office today).

-Marc
# RE: Keyman Language storage   2010-06-03 23:05:22.980
Winkler Johann
Hi, Marc,

there is something I've found out: After removing the languages via the installing-uninstalling process described above, the languages seem to keep removed until I start a program as administrator or do anything that demands administratorial rights. Example:

remove languages - start open office - languages keep removed - start open office with option "execute as administrator" - languages show up again on the keyman languages tab.

To run keyman as administrator when removing the languages seemed a good idea, but didn't work.

Just to make sure: the languages never show up as installed on the Windows control panel, but the systems behaves as if they were when they show up on the keyman languages tab.
# RE: Keyman Language storage   2010-06-04 11:26:49.663
Tavultesoft
Tavultesoft Staff
That's very helpful information, thank you. That will really help in determining the root cause of the problem. We'll be investigating this further here now. Could you tell us if you have to enter a username and password when you "run as administrator" or if you just have to click [Yes] or [Continue]? (i.e., is your normal account an Administrator account?)
# RE: Keyman Language storage   2010-06-04 16:19:16.050
Winkler Johann
As I'm the only user of my laptop, I always run Windows as user 'Johann', who has administratorial status; however, when running programs that interfere with the system (like installing new software or changing the registry) I have to run the respective programs with administratorial rights or have to click 'yes' in a dialogue asking if I would really like to do so.

N.B.: The effect described above takes place even if I answer 'no' and cancel the administorial process - even in this case the unwanted languages start to show up on the keyman language tab