Topic arrow keys skip extra characters

We have two new locations for Keyman technical support:

The Tavultesoft Forums are now read only.

# arrow keys skip extra characters   2016-08-22 16:34:50.307
CTB
Hi,

I was testing a keyboard under the developer and keyman desktop. With a certain combinations of 3 unicode characters, starting with the cursor at extreme right and pressing left arrow three times brings the cursor to the start of the word under the test mode of developer (expected behaviour). In keyman desktop pressing the left arrow key two times does the same (unexpected behaviour).
I can pass the keyboard and a test case if you want to check on your side.
# RE: arrow keys skip extra characters   2016-08-23 18:08:58.633
Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft Staff
Yes, arrow key behaviour does depend on the application. This is especially true for conjoined characters, diacritics, invisible marks, and clusters. Keyman Developer treats each character separately because it is important for keyboard developers to be able to manipulate each character separately. In normal editing scenarios, most applications don't allow the cursor to be placed in the middle of a cluster of characters because it is (a) hard to know where the cursor is placed, and (b) editing in the middle of the cluster tends to lead to malformation of characters which is very confusing to the user.

Are you using the arrow keys in your keyboard? If so, that is also an unsupported behaviour -- it doesn't work cross platform and has limited applicability in Windows applications, partly for the reasons above.
# RE: arrow keys skip extra characters   2016-08-23 22:26:24.777
CTB
I see, this does happen in the case of a conjoined character. I have not programmed arrow keys and its handled by the application.
# RE: arrow keys skip extra characters   2016-08-27 11:16:46.453
Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft Staff
Then in this case, it's definitely expected behaviour -- hope that it's fine with you because there's probably not much we can do about it!