Topic Making a key non-functional

We have two new locations for Keyman technical support:

The Tavultesoft Forums are now read only.

# Making a key non-functional   2017-03-03 05:56:35.433
Jukka K. Korpela
Am I correct in assuming that the only way to make a key non-functional (pressing the key has no effect) is to map it to nul? E.g.

+ [K_COLON] > nul]

A related question, or a feature request: When I use that method, it works, but when trying to switch to the Design tab in “Layout”, I get the error message “The Design tab is disabled because the keyboard file is too complex to represent and modify visually. You must make any further changes to the keyboard directly in the Code tab.” Can this be avoided?

It would probably need extra effort to make keys (or states of keys) e.g. greyed out when non-functional, but it would be OK have them just blank (as if the space character were assigned).

(As to reasons for wanting such keys, you might want to completely disable some keys to prevent errors in programming or data entry or other context where the character repertoire is more limited than that of the physical keyboard.)
# RE: Making a key non-functional   2017-03-07 13:46:32.170
Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft Staff
At this time, as you saw, we don't have this functionality in the visual editor. I don't think I would put a high priority on developing this as it is an unusual edge case, and does complicate the design of the visual editor. Sorry!