Topic Can't start DesktopLight

We have two new locations for Keyman technical support:

The Tavultesoft Forums are now read only.

« First Page | ‹ Previous 10 | Next 10 › | Last Page »

# Can't start DesktopLight   2007-02-17 10:01:11.357
Amaryllis
Installation (from keymandesktoplight-7.0.232.0.msi) finishes OK, but when I try to start the program I get the message "Action cancelled - Internet Explorer was unable to link to the web page you requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable."
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance, Amaryllis
# RE: Can't start DesktopLight   2007-02-19 13:51:23.670
Tavultesoft
Tavultesoft Staff
Hi Amaryllis,

A few things to check:
1) What version of Windows and Internet Explorer are you running?
2) Do you have any antivirus or firewall software running that restricts your internet access?
3) Check that your system meets the system requirements laid out on http://www.tavultesoft.com/70/download.php (click on 'System Requirements'). If your computer does not have the software versions listed there, please update them by clicking on the links provided.

Kind regards,

Paul Durdin
# RE: Can't start DesktopLight   2007-02-23 00:31:52.667
Amaryllis
I am running Windows 2000 Professional and
Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106
Yes, I do have virus & firewall (Norton security 2005) that restricts my Internet Access, altough when asked by Keyman destop light, I gave permission access.
I do not know whether I have windows installer and MSXML 4.0 SP2. Am I supposed to see them in the settings -> add/remove programs?

The strange thing is that the same thing (i.e. consecutive unending downloads) happens with Tavultesoft Keyman Developer 7.0 which I am also testing. It did not happen at the beginning, but it happens now.

# RE: Can't start DesktopLight   2007-02-23 04:42:30.480
KAB Graphics
I have also same problem with Keyman 6.0 when my system effected by spyware. So check about it.

regards
Arun
# RE: Can't start DesktopLight   2007-02-23 09:07:19.730
Tavultesoft
Tavultesoft Staff
[quote="Amaryllis"]I do not know whether I have windows installer and MSXML 4.0 SP2. Am I supposed to see them in the settings -> add/remove programs?

The strange thing is that the same thing (i.e. consecutive unending downloads) happens with Tavultesoft Keyman Developer 7.0 which I am also testing. It did not happen at the beginning, but it happens now.[/quote]

Hi Amaryllis,

Yes, both MSXML 4.0 SP2 and Windows Installer should appear in Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs. If they are not there, you can download them from the links in the System Requirements. Not having these would also prevent Keyman Developer 7.0 from running.

Checking for spyware/adware on your system is also a good idea, although Norton Security should be picking up most of that.

Kind regards,

Paul Durdin
# RE: Can't start DesktopLight   2007-02-23 10:50:31.310
Amaryllis
MSXML 4.0 SP2 is installed.
Windows installer is also installed (does not appear in add/remove programs, but is already there when I try to install).
Norton scan did not produce any errors.
Yet, when I try to launch Desktop light, the following xml file is opened for execution in the Local settings/Temp directory and falls into a never ending loop:

filename: kmn617.xml (the name changes every time I attempt to start desktopLight)

Content:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="C:\Program Files\Tavultesoft\Keyman Desktop Light 7.0\xml\Splash.xsl"?><Keyman><templatepath>C:\Program Files\Tavultesoft\Keyman Desktop Light 7.0\xml\</templatepath><scripttemplatepath>C:\\Program Files\\Tavultesoft\\Keyman Desktop Light 7.0\\xml\\</scripttemplatepath><defaultlocalepath>C:\Program Files\Tavultesoft\Keyman Desktop Light 7.0\xml\locale.xml</defaultlocalepath><localepath>C:\Program Files\Tavultesoft\Keyman Desktop Light 7.0\xml\locale.xml</localepath>
<Evaluation /><EvaluationText>You are on day 7 of 30
</EvaluationText><RegisteredText>
</RegisteredText><Version>Version 7.0.232.0</Version>
</Keyman>

Question: Do I need to install Desktop light from any particular directory? Because I install from E:/Tavultesoft

Thanks for your help.
# RE: Can't start DesktopLight   2007-02-24 10:25:58.950
Amaryllis
Addition to previous message: Keyman developer 7.0 works fine.
# RE: Can't start DesktopLight   2007-02-26 14:36:05.400
Tavultesoft
Tavultesoft Staff
Hi Amaryllis,

This may be an issue with Norton Personal Firewall after all. Please try the following:

1) Click on the system tray icon for Norton Personal Firewall, and open it.
2) Click on Status and Settings
3) Click on Configure, then Programs.
4) You will see a box with various applications that are listed as having 'Automatic', 'Permit All', or 'Denied' access. Scroll down until you see Keyman Desktop. Change the access to 'Permit All'. Check Keyman Developer as well -- they should be set to 'Permit all'.

You can also try clearing out your IE temporary files:
1) Open Internet Explorer.
2) Go to Tools -> Internet Options.
3) Click 'Delete Files' under 'Temporary Files'.
4) Check 'Delete all offline content' and click OK. This should refresh Keyman's temporary files.

Kind regards,

Paul Durdin
# RE: Can't start DesktopLight   2007-02-27 04:09:28.870
Amaryllis
Paul,

I opened my Norton Firewall configuration and checked the entire program list. Unfortunately, even though both Keyman Developer (which opens fine) and Keyman desktop Light (which does not open) are installed, no mention of them exists in the firewall programs list.

I tried starting Keyman Desktop Light with the personal firewall turned off. No change.

I tried with internet temp files creared and the firewall switched off. No change.

I have already tried with my entire computer scanned. No change.

Thank you for your attempts to help me.
# RE: Can't start DesktopLight   2007-02-27 15:01:36.963
Tavultesoft
Tavultesoft Staff
Hi Amaryllis,

If you want to keep trying, we'd like to see if we can get to the bottom of this issue.

Here's a few more things you can try -- it's hard to know what to suggest because we havn't been able to replicate the issue here.

1) Install MSXML 6.0, if you have Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 or higher:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=993c0bcf-3bcf-4009-be21-27e85e1857b1&displaylang=en

2) Add the following two files to the Norton Firewall Programs list -- this is a long shot because I tested it with Norton here and had no problems:
c:\Program Files\Tavultesoft\Keyman Desktop Light 7.0\kmshell.exe
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Tavultesoft\Keyman Engine 7.0\keyman.exe

3) Generate a Tavultesoft Diagnostic report and send it to us. This is usually available from within Keyman Desktop, but in your case it's not possible to access from there. Instead, run it from:
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Tavultesoft\Keyman Engine 7.0\tsysinfo.exe

I'm sorry for the inconvenience and the trouble you're having.

Kind regards,

Paul Durdin

« First Page | ‹ Previous 10 | Next 10 › | Last Page »