Topic Keyman does not work properly in Vista

We have two new locations for Keyman technical support:

The Tavultesoft Forums are now read only.

« First Page | ‹ Previous 10 | Next 10 › | Last Page »

# Keyman does not work properly in Vista   2007-07-29 09:01:14.030
Alexander
Before now, I used Keyman 6.2 in Windows XP SP2. It worked fine. Now I wish to go in Vista. I installed Keyman Desktop 7.0 (trial) in Vista and installed two well-known Keyman keyboards: Greek (polytonic precomposed) Unicode and Ezra SIL Unicode 2.3. Keyman installed the keyboards properly but Vista does not see them when I attempt to associate Greek and Hebrew languages with appropriate keyboard. Your Online Documentation for Keyman Desktop 7.0 misses (by this reason?) information about how associate a keyboard with a language in Vista.
Thank you.
# RE: Keyman does not work properly in Vista   2007-07-30 15:45:05.920
Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft Staff
If you use the Light edition of Keyman Desktop, it does not support the Language Association option. The Professional edition includes the "Languages" tab which lets you select the keyboard to associate with any language on your system.

A related note: We have a documented issue currently with Vista that will be addressed in the next update of Keyman Desktop. This issue is that the current associated languages settings do not display in Keyman Configuration when you start it up under Windows Vista. However, you can set the language associations in Keyman Configuration and click Save, and they will be applied to Keyman Desktop until the next time you run Keyman Configuration.
# RE: Keyman does not work properly in Vista   2007-08-05 12:17:36.497
Alexander
It doesn’t work at all. I installed two Keyman keyboards: 1) Greek Polytonic SA; 2) Greek (polytonic precomposed) Unicode. In Languages options I can “associate” Greek language with any keyboard. But when I open Languages options again I see that Greek language is associated with Windows layout, not with a Keyman keyboard. Windows Vista doesn’t know about “associations” in Keyman Desktop Pro 7.0.238.0. I am sorry.
# RE: Keyman does not work properly in Vista   2007-08-05 12:25:50.310
Alexander
PS
I suppose Amaryllis wrote about this earlier.
# RE: Keyman does not work properly in Vista   2007-08-05 16:48:31.843
Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft Staff
This issue has been addressed in the next update of Keyman, which will be available in the coming weeks.

As an interim workaround, I believe that you will find that the language association that you select does work, when you save the settings in Keyman Configuration, until you open Keyman Configuration again (at which point the language association is lost).
# RE: Keyman does not work properly in Vista   2007-08-05 21:23:04.217
Alexander
No, it doesn’t work properly. The Greek (polytonic precomposed) Unicode keyboard doesn’t work at all. The Greek Polytonic SA keyboard works but the association between the keyboard and Greek language doesn’t work at all: 1) When I switch on the keyboard, language of text doesn’t switch in Greek; 2) When I select a text in Greek language, Keyman doesn’t switch its keyboard (instead of this Windows switches its keyboard).
# RE: Keyman does not work properly in Vista   2007-09-25 22:53:41.237
Alexander
I installed the new version (240) of Keyman Desktop Pro but it doesn’t works properly in Vista + Word 2007: 1) When I switch on the keyboard (Greek Polytonic SA), language of text doesn’t switch in Greek; 2) When I select a text in Greek language, Keyman doesn’t switch its keyboard (instead of this Vista switches its keyboard associated with the Greek). Do you plan make Keyman Desktop for Vista + Word 2007?
# RE: Keyman does not work properly in Vista   2007-09-26 07:43:50.347
Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft Staff
I have just tested this here with Vista and Word 2007 and it all worked without issues with version 240. Can you check the following for me:

1. You need to associate the Greek keyboard with the Greek language in the Languages tab in Keyman Configuration.

2. To use the Keyman keyboard in the way you describe, you should switch the language to Greek and the Keyman keyboard will switch as well.

3. Do you have the option "Automatically switch keyboard to match language of surrounding text" switched on in Word (buried under the Advanced options page)? I tested both with and without this option and had no problems with either setting. Only when this option is selected will Word switch keyboard layouts when selecting Greek text.
# RE: Keyman does not work properly in Vista   2007-09-26 23:11:55.940
Alexander
1. Yes of course, I associated the Greek keyboard with the Greek language in the Languages tab in Keyman Configuration.

2. No, I should not switch the Keyman keyboard AND the language to Greek. If you do so it means the association of the Greek keyboard with the Greek language doesn’t work properly for you. You should switch only the Greek keyboard, and the association switches the Greek language automatically. It is so with Vista’s keyboards. And it is so with Keyman’s keyboards in Windows XP & Word 2003.

3. Yes of course, I switch on the option "Automatically switch keyboard to match language of surrounding text" in Word 2007. And all Vista’s keyboards work properly with all languages.
# RE: Keyman does not work properly in Vista   2007-09-27 07:51:48.707
Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft Staff
[quote="Alexander"]
2. No, I should not switch the Keyman keyboard AND the language to Greek. If you do so it means the association of the Greek keyboard with the Greek language doesn’t work properly for you. You should switch only the Greek keyboard, and the association switches the Greek language automatically. It is so with Vista’s keyboards. And it is so with Keyman’s keyboards in Windows XP & Word 2003.
[/quote]

When you associate a Keyman keyboard with a Windows language, the Keyman keyboard is switched on when that language is selected. Keyman does not switch the language when you choose a keyboard.

« First Page | ‹ Previous 10 | Next 10 › | Last Page »