Topic Egyptian hieroglyphics & Unicode

We have two new locations for Keyman technical support:

The Tavultesoft Forums are now read only.

# Egyptian hieroglyphics & Unicode   2010-09-07 15:07:36.657
Jakob
The Wikipedia article says that the Unicode range for Egyptian hieroglyphs is U+13000 - U+1342F, but when I look inside the Aegyptus font (via my font editor "FontCreator"), it shows the hieroglyphs as having the ranges U+F3xxx and U+F4xxx. In either case, altho my self-created keyboards generally work, I can't make any functioning keyboard for these code-ranges: my experiments compile, but don't work. Also, selecting the Aegyptus font for the character-map display within Keyman Developer doesn't actually show me that font. Suggestions?
# RE: Egyptian hieroglyphics & Unicode   2010-09-13 11:31:07.120
Tavultesoft
I'd be happy to answer your questions. Wikipedia is correct - Egyptian hieroglyphs are in the range U+13000..U+1342E. That block was officially added to Unicode only in October of last year (Unicode 5.2).

The current Aegyptus font does provide full support for that block. However, it also includes support for extended characters not yet accepted officially into Unicode. In case you are not running the most recent version of Aegyptus, I suggest downloading it again here:
http://users.teilar.gr/~g1951d/

Finally, as the Egyptian block is new to Unicode 5.2, for full support of the block in Keyman Desktop I recommend downloading our Keyman Desktop 8 beta:
http://www.tavultesoft.com/beta

Though the beta does have rough edges and known issues, it includes full support for the Unicode 5.2 additions, including Egyptian.

Let us know if you need more help.
# RE: Egyptian hieroglyphics & Unicode   2010-09-16 13:08:15.823
Tavultesoft
I should say, if you'd like, we'd be happy to review your keyboard source file for you to see why things may not be working.
# RE: Egyptian hieroglyphics & Unicode   2010-09-27 19:55:13.190
Jakob
I have determined that OpenOffice 3.1 can see the entire font in the "Insert character" mode, not just the lower 256 codes as in Word 2003. So the question is what Word 2007 is capable of....Anybody care to check?
Making a Keyman keyboard is of less priority, since there is, as far as I know, no "logical", currently used system.